Disable YouTube 60 FPS (Force 30 FPS)

Tells YouTube that your browser only supports videos at 30FPS or less, which switches all 60FPS videos to 30FPS and allows old computers to watch high-resolution videos without stutter!

< Feedback on Disable YouTube 60 FPS (Force 30 FPS)

Question/comment

§
Posted: 2018-03-13

Same for Twitch?

Do you think it will be possible to apply the same (or similar) script to Twitch? Right now the best 30fps quality is 720p, which sucks on a 1080 screen.

§
Posted: 2018-03-23
Edited: 2018-03-23

Hi aone. As a quick test to see if it's possible, I just rewrote the same code for Twitch and sadly have to say that it doesn't work. Their website does not ask the browser 'do you support 60fps?'. It ignores the browser and always shows those 60fps choices regardless of whether the browser can play it or not. So there is unfortunately no way to downgrade twitch to 1080p30... So their 720p30 is the best option you have, apart from upgrading video card (if possible)... :\

PS to other people (this is not meant at you, aone): There's no point asking about other sites, and I won't check any other sites if anyone else requests any. I only checked Twitch because they're big and they're a site I sometimes watch. But the fact is that YouTube is one of the only websites in the world that has the storage (hard disk) resources to be able to serve both 60fps and 30fps versions of all files. Almost all websites only have 1 single FPS choice, with no way to bypass that. So the chance of this script working on any other video streaming sites is almost 0% and therefore I won't waste any time researching it. If anyone wants to try it themselves, just copy the source code of this script, edit the @match-URLs to fit the other website's pattern. Go down to the bottom where it says var injectedTooLate = <stuff> and replace that line with var injectedTooLate = false; to bypass the "were we injected too late at YouTube?" checks. Lastly, go to the top and set useQueryDebug = true so that you can see all format queries in the Javascript console. If you go through all that and find a site where it works, then sure, let me know. But the chance is, as I said, almost 0%... so I won't provide any further support for questions related to this. It's a YouTube script, and that's all I have time for officially.

Sign in to post a reply.