Youtube HD

Select a youtube resolution and resize the player.

< Feedback on Youtube HD

Review: Good - script works

§
Posted: 2017-11-18
Edited: 2017-11-18

Auto resolution not working on Firefox 57

I am having issues with auto resolution not working at all. Theater mode and custom player size work fine. I have spent a while debugging it, but I can't figure it out. It seems the
getPlaybackQuality/setPlaybackQuality functions are always undefined
when needed. Can you please take a look?

I am using Firefox 57 which had a major rewrite, but I'm not sure if
it's related.

Thank you

adisibAuthor
§

I can confirm. This is due to Greasemonkey 4 breaking compatibility with many scripts in order to work with webextensions. I will have to change my code to work with both versions. I'll see if I have time to look at it and test in all the supported browsers tonight, but I'll almost certainly fix it along with my other scripts in the next 24 hours.

§

Really appreciate it, let me know if you need any more info or have any updates.

adisibAuthor
§

Ok, I've fixed the script, added a feature, tested it, and pushed the update. Please let me know if it works for you as well.

My apologies for having to be reminded to test the new version of greasemonkey. Hope it wasn't an inconvenience to all the users.

§

It works, thanks a ton for fixing it!

§
Posted: 2017-12-09

@adislib It seems autoresolution is broken again. This time, it's likely Youtube changed something. Can you take a look? Thanks

adisibAuthor
§

Yes, I noticed this a day or two ago. When the buffer is not flushed, the resolution will stay on auto. It seems Youtube's own API that they published doesn't seem to work correctly on Youtube anymore. I figured it was yet another mistake by Youtube, but they don't seem interested in fixing it so this will affect pretty much all other scripts that set a resolution.

I do think I found a simple solution though, as it seems they might have made changes to the API that they are using but haven't published. I just need to put it through testing on the new layout and with the different supported browsers and userscript managers before release today.

adisibAuthor
§

I've pushed the update. I would be happy to hear back if it works for you.

§

It works for me. Thanks for maintaining this.

Deleted user 128
§
Posted: 2017-12-31
Edited: 2017-12-31

Unfortunately auto-resolution (only) seems to be randomly successful here.
Youtube HD 2017.12.09 / ViolentMonkey 2.8.23 / Firefox 57.0.3 x64 / Windows 7 x64

Only one other script running simultaneously on Youtube, 'Disable Youtube Autoplay' : auto-resolution issue remained after disabling it.

Problem really is random as it seems. Odd.

adisibAuthor
§
Posted: 2017-12-31
Edited: 2017-12-31

AnchorsAweigh I appreciate you bringing the problem to my attention. Unfortunately, I am not able to reproduce the issue. Using Youtube HD 2017.12.09 from greasyfork with ViolentMonkey 2.8.23 on Firefox 57.0.3, whether or not I am using Disable Youtube autoplay ( https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/34651-disable-youtube-autoplay ). Resolution was set as desired every time without fail, in every scenario I threw at it.

That doesn't mean the problem isn't on my end, but I'll need more information if it is. If you are sure that it can fail while all other extensions and scripts are disabled, and the video has the desired resolution available (not all videos have a high resolution version available), then I will need your help in creating a reproducible enough case for me to investigate.

Are you using the new youtube layout or the old youtube layout (can be verified at youtube.com/new )? Does it happen on specific pages? Did you navigate to it by clicking on a link within youtube, or does it happen if you refresh the page? Was the video a part of a playlist? Was the video player full-screen when the video changed? How frequently does this occur, is it more than half the time? Have you changed any of Youtube HD's settings? Are there any errors shown in the developer console or browser console (which can be accessed with ctrl+shift+k, and menu->Web Developer->Browser Console) when it occurs? Have you made significant tweaks to Firefox in about:config? The more relevant information you can give me, the faster I can fix the issue if it is on my end.

I'll keep trying to see if I can reproduce it in the meantime.

Deleted user 128
§
Posted: 2018-01-01
Edited: 2018-01-01

Thanks for acknowledging my comment, adisib. I do understand an issue is most of the time related to multiple factors, that these need to be specified especially when one's issue is not reproducible in an obvious way.

1- Tested right now a video which yesterday hadn't been run in available 1080p but is now. Proceeded the same way, from Search : NY webcam
The video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hck5LT3HtVE (Live - Lower Manhattan & New York Harbor Cam - St. George Tower)

Of course here on greasyfork the script won't make it considering the script doesn't handle embedded youtube. Purpose is only to be clear on yesterday's issue on youtube.com itself.

I really don't understand. In both cases cache was empty and cookies blocked for youtube.com. I get to believe my issue was (is?) related to a priority of tasks within the Firefox/Youtube.com scheme. Strange, but as I said : no issue at this time when reproducing yesterday's process.

2- I use the new youtube.com, cookies blocked and one css (YouTube DeepDark Material | Userstyles.org) aimed at getting the dark layout without Youtube's dedicated option (tied to a cookie).

3- Because all seems fine now I won't go through checking the console and noting the exact parameters related to a youtube video layout. Should an issue arise that I'd then consider remembering the context and start digging it.

So: all is fine now. But I know I hadn't dreamed yesterday. Obviously I was then in a chain reaction composed of several parameters and that's the toughest situation as it may be hard to reproduce.

Thanks.

adisibAuthor
§
Posted: 2018-01-01

Youtube has been known to roll out experimental changes to a small subset of users for testing to prevent the website from breaking for everyone. It may be possible that you were placed into that small test group, and so breaking changes that youtube made were experienced by you and not reproducible by me.

Also, youtube has been known to push videos out before the high resolution versions have been encoded. So even if a channel is known to always push high resolution videos, it is possible for it to only have low resolution available if you arrived to the video early enough, and for the high resolution version to be available by the time you refresh.

Those are my ideas for what the issue might be so far. Please do let me know if it starts happening again.

Sign in to post a reply.