Discussions » Greasy Fork Feedback

Possible glitch with namespaces?

§
Posted: 2014-06-05

Possible glitch with namespaces?

The first time I uploaded a script here, I got a confirmation asking me to add a namespace or if the site should add one instead.

I actually feel namespaces are quite useless. if their purpose is to prevent scammers from making look-alike scripts, then couldn't they just put in the same namespace as the other script? That said, my understanding is you are not allowed to omit the namespace, because I didn't see any option to do so.

But when I uploaded an update to the script, which didn't have a namespace either, it did not prompt me to add a namespace again. If my assumption that you are not allowed to omit the namespace is true, couldn't users just "update" the script, not change anything except remove the namespace? Once again, I don't see what purpose that would serve, but if it doesn't follow what you're supposed to do...

is this normal behavior?

§
Posted: 2014-06-06
Edited: 2014-06-08

When you install a script, Greasemonkey will first check to see if you have an existing script with the same namespace and name. If so, it'll treat it as an update.

Greasy Fork may rewrite some of your script's meta for the script offered to users. One thing it will do is ensure there's a namespace. Once you pick a namespace (or get it to make one for you), it will keep using that for subsequent updates if you don't provide it.

§
Posted: 2014-06-07

Yeah, it wasn't until later that I noticed Greasy Fork was indeed adding back the namespace, it just didn't tell me the second or third time. Maybe this should be made more clear...

Anyways, that solves the problem then

Sign in to post a reply.