Youtube Auto-translate Canceler

Remove auto-translated youtube titles

< Feedback on Youtube Auto-translate Canceler

Question/comment

§
Posted: 2019-10-19

not always working: either keeping translated title or changing wrong title

Most of the time it works for me, but sometimes I have two issues. I think they are somewhat related, so I describe them both here. In my attempt to better understand and therefore reliably reproduce the issues, I already read into the code, added some more console.log() and even attempted a change to fix it (though I don't really "speak" Javascript).

On the YouTube start page, there is the YouTube logo on the top left. I use this frequently to get a new list of recommended videos. It appears to me that this doesn't reload the page but instead fills everything with new content. This causes two problems with the Auto-Translate Canceler:

1. The collection "alreadyChanged" still contains the references to those re-used objects that now contain different video links, therefore the new links will not be translated. I tried to fix this myself by storing the (de-translated) video title and not the link to the whole DOM item in "alreadyChanged".
  2. Let's say this script replaced the title of e.g. the third video in the suggestion list. Now after pressing the YouTube logo, new suggestions will be loaded, but the title of the third video keeps the un-translated title of the previous suggestion list. The script is not doing anything (as can be seen from the console log), but YouTube will not fill in the correct video title once the Canceler has tampered with it.

Oh my god, I hope I described that clearly enough...

Sign in to post a reply.