Greasy Fork is available in English.

Discussions » Creation Requests

Add a YouTube search link within Google, using the current search term

§
Posted: 29.01.2015

Add a YouTube search link within Google, using the current search term

Back when Google had the black bar up top, there was a YouTube link in there. Clicking it would copy your current Google search term and use it for a YouTube search. They got rid of this YouTube link and replaced it with a YouTube button within the Apps menu which just takes you to the YouTube homepage; it's hardly useful. (Yes, there is a Videos link in Google, but searching for videos within Google is horrid; I'd rather use Bing's video search if it comes to that.)

Anyway, I'd like to add back the YouTube link right where the other search types are listed such as News, Images, Maps, etc. I think it would be best to have it show up to the left of the More button. The search type links are all within in a "hdtb_msb" id div, and you'd be pasting the YouTube link as the last child, like this:

[...]

Google switches the order of these links around depending on what it determines is relevant, so sticking with last child is probably best.

I could also see someone might like to have other search engines listed on the Google search page, but that would be something else entirely. I'm only talking about adding an old feature back to Google.

§
Posted: 29.01.2015

Thank you so much!! That was so quick - at first I thought you were pointing me to a script that already existed, lol. I really appreciate it. :)

I need to sit down one of these days and teach myself about mutation observers and all that stuff for my own script.

Sign in to post a reply.