Greasy Fork is available in English.

Discussions » Greasy Fork Feedback

Forum upgraded to 2.1

§
Posted: 25.05.2014
Edited: 26.05.2014

Forum upgraded to 2.1

The forum will be going down within the next 24 hours so that I can update to Vanilla 2.1. The forum has been upgraded. This update will let me fix some annoying forum bugs and will hopefully not introduce too many new ones...

The layout of 2.1 is different so if you've got a script working on the forum, it will probably require some rework.

§

Will this allow you to fix that very annoying thing we use to have on us.o and don't have now, thank you: when you type something in the reply box but don't submit, whatever you typed in that box will still be there every time you open that thread.

§
Will Vanilla 2.1 eventually be applied to forum.userstyles.org, as well?

Yes. I've also deliberately redesigned my customizations so that they can apply to either site (or for anyone else's site, if they're interested).

Will this allow you to fix that very annoying thing we use to have on us.o and don't have now, thank you: when you type something in the reply box but don't submit, whatever you typed in that box will still be there every time you open that thread.

I haven't changed anything in this area on either site, and it sounds like an intentional feature of the forum...

§
Posted: 26.05.2014

Well, it's upgraded. There seems to be an issue with things not being marked as new, at least for me.

§
Posted: 27.05.2014
Edited: 27.05.2014

Where are our panel with last bookmarked post.
It was useful .
Haaa, we need to click on the top star...
hmmm....
Maybe i prefer to have it open always.

§

Me too. Maybe Sonny will do his magic and add it to his filter ... when he's back from the trip..

§

Jason,
thanks for the upgrade! (i had nothing to do tonight ... )

§

Edit post link is missing?

§

I think when you hover the thread, an option button (gear icon) appears on the right with the edit menuitem in the dropdown list..

§

Oh, i see, thanks!
I don't think i like it though. Takes 2 clicks now.

But overall, i came to say - i like it! I mean, i like the way it looks/works now. Makes sense ... for the most part. Bookmarked threads and Edit are bleh, takes 2 clicks for either but i guess we'll get used to it.

§

Attachments?

§

There's something else i don't like. When on in a script discussion thread and on a page other than the first, the link to the script disappears. It shouldn't, 'cause no you have to go to the first page to click that link should you need to go to the script discussed.

§

Look at the top of the page, if a thread has a link to the script, you should see About: the link here

§

Hmm, and now i can't edit my post? It looks like the only post i can edit is the last one. Either because nobody posted after that yet or simply because it's a stupid setup. I think i was able to edit posts yesterday though. I really hate that clicking anyway. Any way to have it as a link, like it used to be?

§

When i click the logo at the top of this page, it opens Recent discussions which includes all of them, Script Discussions as well. Could it be made to work the same as us.o - to see SC forum, you need to actually click its link in the left panel. 'cause otherwise i don't understand what the left panel 'Categories' links are for!

§
Posted: 28.05.2014

^^ Edit link?
(SC Forum? - i guess i meant Script Discussions Forum) ...
So, how about an Edit link? Why do i see 'edited' in Jason' posts but i can't edit mine?

§

You can only edit your own posts for an hour after your post.

§

Right. Soooooo .... any plans on making it work like us.o?

§
Posted: 29.05.2014

Nope.

Uploads are back!

§
Posted: 29.05.2014
Edited: 29.05.2014

1. Sux ...
2. Thanks.

§
Posted: 30.05.2014

Try latest version https://greasyfork.org/scripts/958-forum-extract-for-greasy-fork
Also removed flag link on your own posts.

§
Edited: 30.05.2014

srazzano?! ... still here? I thought you'd be over the Pond by now!
The link is there but when i click it, it runs the 'progress' and nothing happens but a popup in the low left corner says i can't do that:

§

This is sooo ... silly:

It says i'm new, it says i need to sign in and ... calls me by name?!?!? I've never seen anything that ... silly anywhere else.

§
Edited: 30.05.2014

Are you talking about the delete link where you get the permission message?

§

No, the Edit link you just added. Let's do it here, i reposted.

§
Posted: 05.06.2014

Jason,
1. are you using the same (bad) disappearing ratings system here (like on us.o - posts disappear after a year or so?)? Most people - i assume - will not bother clicking 'See other discussions (or whatever it says). They will just install the style/script. However, there might be a valuable hint in one of those hidden discussions. I always thought hiding that and the previous ratings! is the worst thing you did on us.o. Just because the last rating is over a year old, doesn't make a style any better. All ratings should be visible, always.

2. There many reasons people need to be able to edit their own posts. For instance, as Barb mentioned here, i report an error and rate a script 'bad' but the error is fixed later and i now want to re-rate it .... etc., etc.

§
Posted: 10.06.2014
Edited: 10.06.2014

What a strange idea.
Why only before one hour ???

Re-edit is so normal when you take care at the evolution of the web.....

I reedit many old post i do a long time ago after the last Userscripts.org story only to give right links and infos.

§
Posted: 10.06.2014

Editing a post (especially after someone else has replied) can lead to threads that are confusing to read. While you may make your comment "better", the following comments becomes senseless. If you want to write something more than a discussion, there are better places to do it.

Cases where you want to change a review is a valid scenario for editing, so I may enable it anyway, or I may find a different way.

§
Posted: 20.06.2014
§
Posted: 20.07.2014

From my unanswered thread:

"... can't add a screenshot if editing a post ... Have to make another post to post a screenshot that goes with a post above ... weird.
... Also, no Preview when in edit mode. Have to save, then use 2 clicks to get to the Edit and so on."

§

I answered that in one of the other places you asked for it.

§
Edited: 20.07.2014

No, you didn't. So what's the answer?
Did you mean this maybe?

1. Can't add a screenshot if editing a post ... Have to make another post to post a screenshot that goes with a post above ... weird.
2. No Preview when in edit mode.

§
other places you asked for it.

...too many to go looking for it.

Another forum that I've been a member of for about a decade has the following policies on post editing:
(1) If you edit within 5 minutes after posting, then it won't show that the post was edited at all (for those quickly realized "mistakes").
(2) After posting you have 5 days to make edits, after which no edits are allowed (and, frankly, this seems like too long of a period sometimes).

All in all this works quite well. The policies have varied somewhat over the years, but they haven't changed a whole lot. The point is to prevent posters from screwing up discussion topics/threads (because they changed their mind about something) or just deleting the whole thing and replacing their post with "NM" or whatever. Basically, some people continually edit their posts beyond all reason, forgetting that forums are about point-in-time comments and back-and-forth discussions, not about fixing time-induced "mistakes" and trying to get everything into one post that's "related". So, followup posts to your own posts are not uncommon... and not a problem.

On the other hand, whatever you can do when posting new, you can do when editing a post--attach images, preview... whatever; the same code segments are used for each. Vanilla is what it is, and there's only so much you can do, but having the same functions on edit as on post would be nice (during the time-limited period when editing is allowed).

§
Edited: 20.07.2014

BS. This is a 'technical' forum. If i need to add/refresh a link, for instance, i should be able to regardless of time passed. Otherwise it might be misleading or/and inconvenient (for instance, in posts like this)
Now, some people do (mis-)use it (on us.o anyway) for personal glorification and do edit their posts to 'look better' but this can be easily ignored by people with more than one brain cell, i know i do w/out any problems.
I and others i know use 'NM' when it's no longer relevant (for instance, there's a better answer popped up below and yours is now confusing, or you checked and your answer is actually incorrect, etc. of this nature, sometimes i post in a wrong thread). Don't think 'NM' presents a problem big enough to overweight the convenience of editing.
Editing is also helpful to people for whom english is not a native language. Re-read it a couple of days later and realize you made a mistake - should be able to correct/rephrase instead of posting another post saying something like: "In the post 3 posts above this one i made a mistake, i meant to say 'good' not 'god'" .....
In any case, a longer (than 1 hr) timing isn't an issue but i don't think Vanilla has anything of this nature and i don't know if Jason would bother writing his own mod.
My requests for an ability to add screenshots and a Preview function while in edit mode still stand. I know it's possible 'cause that's how it works on us.o, as you know.

§

My requests for an ability to add screenshots and a Preview function while in edit mode still stand. I know it's possible 'cause that's how it works on us.o, as you know.

https://github.com/vanilla/addons/issues/110

§
Posted: 21.07.2014
Another forum that I've been a member of for about a decade has the following policies on post editing:
(1) If you edit within 5 minutes after posting, then it won't show that the post was edited at all (for those quickly realized "mistakes").
(2) After posting you have 5 days to make edits, after which no edits are allowed (and, frankly, this seems like too long of a period sometimes).

I wanted to do something like this (and it was set like this for a while, except with a 1 hour limit on edits), but the problem is that the forum is used for reviews and people need to be able to edit their ratings if the issue is resolved.

§

Thanks, AnnaMarie and Jason. How about Preview in the Edit mode?

§
Edited: 21.07.2014

Re: Editing time limit.

Another point as well as the ones already mentioned...

● Removing or shortening long lengthy posts of useless info many days later, can make it much easier for those reading through a whole thread.

● It is exhausting, time consuming, dreary and deadly having to read through a 50post thread.
And sometimes it takes several posts before it is revealed as to what browser and it's version and OS the user is operating... which can later be added into the first post of the thread... allowing others not on that browser/OS to bypass the thread.

● Most posters edit responsibly and consider how the change will effect the complete discussion of the thread timeline.

NO TIME LIMIT please... just like it is now.

§

Yeah, it's much better having to review every comment in every discussion on every visit in order to ensure that you haven't missed any of the latest and greatest updates to the "knowledgebase" that is every "technical" forum (and let's not call it a "forum" any more--that's so "déclassé").

§
I wanted to do something like this ..., but the problem is that the forum is used for reviews and people need to be able to edit their ratings if the issue is resolved.

Sounds like a job for a plugin (when the available option settings don't handle the needed exceptions to the rule).

§
Yeah, it's much better having to review every comment in every discussion on every visit in order to ensure that you haven't missed any of the latest and greatest updates to the "knowledgebase" that is every "technical" forum (and let's not call it a "forum" any more--that's so "déclassé").

Apparently you have nothing better to do anyway. Welcome to pestering in this forum now too ....

§
Posted: 24.07.2014

Jason,
how about fixing the hash mark? It linkifies.
#see? < this is now a link going to ... search!

§

Is there an answer somewhere? Sorry, i'm not very sophisticated. The video didn't play for me, had to see it on YTube.

§
Apparently you have nothing better to do anyway. Welcome to pestering in this forum now too

Anyone who believes that there's something wrong with everyone else simply because they don't share his views deserves to be pestered. However, you really think I'd waste my time on you? Well, if you want to see a real pest, go find a mirror.

§
Posted: 20.08.2014
Edited: 20.08.2014

Linking for personal info: August 15th

Sign in to post a reply.