Google Hit Hider by Domain (Search Filter / Block Sites)

Block unwanted sites from your Google, DuckDuckGo, Startpage.com, Bing and Yahoo search results. v2.2.8 2023-07-19

< Feedback on Google Hit Hider by Domain (Search Filter / Block Sites)

Question/comment

§
Posted: 2019-08-17
Edited: 2019-08-17

FireMonkey support?

The new FireMonkey extension cannot load this script without modifications.

First issue: this script tries to match all possible Google sites with URL patterns like:

// @include http*://www.google.*/* // @include http*://www.google.co*.*/*

FireMonkey can only use URL patterns that are legal for extensions, meaning I can't have the * in the last part of the host name (protocol://hostname/path). Since Firefox rejects the pattern, the script cannot run.

If you manually edit the @include lines to match the sites you use, so there are no * left in the host name part of the address, then the script should load.

Second issue: FireMonkey is more like Greasemonkey than like Tampermonkey and Violentmonkey in how you store and retrieve block list data. The script sets GM4 = true only for Greasemonkey, but it needs to be set to true for FireMonkey, too.

I don't have an idea at this point how to manage these differences, but if anyone is interested in using FireMonkey, let me know so I can give it a higher priority. Thanks.

§
Posted: 2020-08-11

Hi,

I keep using ViolentMonkey only for your script. If it was compatible with FireMonkey I would stop using ViolentMonkey.

§
Posted: 2020-08-22

Hi Peter, can you do some testing and let me know where you find bugs?

To avoid conflicts, I think you'll need to only have GHHbD enabled in one userscript manager at a time. You can export/import your block list to facilitate testing.

Code Edit

They key thing to change in the script in FireMonkey is on line 57. The script tries to detect the new style behaviors using this line:

var GM4 = (typeof GM_getValue === "undefined") ? true : false;

This line doesn't work in FireMonkey. Change that line to:

var GM4 = true;

With that change, I can get the buttons to appear on the results page and the basic functions seem to work. Please let me know what you discover.

§
Posted: 2020-08-22

Or you could wait for an update tomorrow.

Sign in to post a reply.