Youtube Annotation Destroyer

If you want those damn annotations to go away at the start of every video, this is the right script for you!

< Feedback on Youtube Annotation Destroyer

Question/comment

§
Posted: 2016-01-13
Edited: 2016-01-13

Hey GrisiPisiMisi,

One problem may be that this script doesn't work properly, because for some reason Google Chrome switched to force load YouTube videos in HTML5 not Flash, so a while back I switched the code over to handle this change, and I am assuming this may have messed up the Firefox side of things.

May I ask what version of Firefox you are running and what script handler you are using?

I have been having a lot of trouble with Mozilla Firefox in the past, I primarily use Google Chrome and it is working perfectly on Chrome for me on four devices that are on separate versions of chrome (chromium, chrome canary, chrome and on chrome OS).

The other script you commented on is the one that will handle everything most efficiently and should work the best, so I would recommend uninstalling this one and just using the Embedded Youtube video Full HD and No Annotations script.

I have tried the script on Firefox and it isn't working for me either, I am debating wether I should just support Chrome in my scripts, because 80-ish percent of the reports I get about scripts not working, is because Firefox is being used and my script doesn't work 100% in Firefox. I do not understand why, but somehow when I activate Greasemonkey on Firefox, Firefox leaks memory and after 20 mins or so, it requires 16GB of memory when I only have 11 available.

THERE MAY BE A SOLUTION THOUGH! If you never want annotations again, or can be bothered to change a setting, go to youtube.com/account_playback and untick the section that says "Show annotations and in-video notifications". I do not know if this works for embedded videos, my guess would be no, but it wouldn't hurt to try. I made this script to work with embedded videos, but it looks like on Firefox, my solution is not working. I am sorry about that,

Good luck in trying the possible solution,
Daniel.

§
Posted: 2016-01-16

Thank you for your words, I was just testing and have disabled the yt annotations via ublock origins right now, so its not that important, but I was curious.

I'm not seeing memory leaks here, but I'm using OSX, dunno, what could be the problem...

I'm using FF 43.0.4 with Greasemonkey 3.6.

I tried both of the scripts separately, with one being disabled at a time to not interfere them. both seems to had the same problems here.

Sign in to post a reply.