YouTube Auto Buffer & Auto HD

Buffers the video without autoplaying and puts it in HD if the option is on. For Firefox, Opera, & Chrome

< Feedback on YouTube Auto Buffer & Auto HD

Review: Good - script works

§
Posted: 2015-01-24

"Disable Ads" Does Not Work!

Now don't get me wrong, I hate adverts, however, to support certain YouTube channels, I want to enable adverts.

However, when YouTube Auto Buffer & Auto HD is enabled, adverts art ALWAYS disabled, even if "Disabled Ads" is unchecked.

Please fix.

Love your script man!

JoeSimmonsAuthor
§
Posted: 2015-01-26

I don't mean to insult you, but do you have AdBlock enabled? That could be causing ads to always be disabled. If not, I'll look into it more, but I don't see anything that would cause it that stands out to me.

Although you did spark an interesting idea - allowing users to make a list of channels where ads will be enabled, and all others will be disabled.

§
Posted: 2015-01-26
Edited: 2015-01-26

lol. Wouldn't put it pass me to have AdBlock enabled while on YouTube while trying to enable adverts, but wasn't the case. I know because I made sure.

I looked again now and I believe another user script was disabling the adverts, because, when I tested last night (very late last night), I would disable/enable Greasemonkey completely. Now I disabled all users scripts but yours and Auto Buffer HD seems to be working properly, i.e. showing ads. Will find the user script causing the problem. Sorry for not making 100% sure.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/63231818/whitelist.mp4

You read my mind man. I downloaded the .xpi for Adblock Plus and am trying to find out how and where Adblock Plus stores its filter settings. Thought to make a Firefox and Chrome plugin (not user script) that does the following:

* Modifies the Adblock and Adblock Plus filters for the user, allowing adverts through for specified users, based on there selection.

Adblock and Adblock Plus are two different plugins as I'm sure you are aware. Adblock has a YouTube setting, but you have to go into a dialog, enable some setting and then add the channel name manually I believe. Adblock Plus you have to install Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey and install a user script (that has issues from certain people) and manually configure filters for each user. Average users can't/won't do this.
* Adds a "White List" Button on YouTube channels/videos that allows 1 click whitelisting. The button could be next to Subscribe.

YouTube users don't get paid for blocked adverts, only for adverts that have actually show, so they not making as much money as they could.

I believe a plugin like this would do extremely well. Just need one channel like Vsauce to push the plugin. They can change the ending to "Subscribe, Comment and Whitelist". I would have whitelisted ages ago if one of my favorite channels asked me to.

I hate adverts, but don't mind sitting through an ad if I know it's benefiting users/channels I really like.

Plugin must be one click install for all major browsers.

I'm more of a desktop developer and busy learning HTML, CSS and JavaScript.

Would you want to tackle a project like this? I know you have the skill, but not sure if this idea excites you? I mean, you want to code this?

JoeSimmonsAuthor
§
Posted: 2015-01-30

I wouldn't really be the guy to tackle that. I'd need a lot of time to learn the script and whatnot. I may put a whitelist into my script, though.

§
Posted: 2015-01-30

Will be great if you put a whitelist into your script and compile your script to XPI or CRX and make it available on addons.mozilla.org and the chrome web store.

§
Posted: 2015-02-05

"I wouldn't really be the guy to tackle that. I'd need a lot of time to learn the script and whatnot. I may put a whitelist into my script, though."

Not really much to learn. I looked into Adblock Plus. In the XPI, there is a "filterStorage.js" file which contains an "addSubscription" function. All "filterStorage.js" does is read and write from "patterns.ini", which is located in the %AppData%\Mozilla folder.

There is also a "filterListener.js" for event notification.

Can you e-mail me please brad smith site at gmail (no spaces) as I'd like to ask you one or two things?

JoeSimmonsAuthor
§
Posted: 2015-03-03

It would be a cool addon. I'm just saying I don't really have the time. I don't even update my own scripts as often as I should, and I still have many un-uploaded ones I need to get on here after Userscripts.org went down.

But my email is thetenfold@gmail.com

§
Posted: 2015-03-03

I understand completely. Well, when you have time. :)

Sign in to post a reply.