Makes YouTube videos run in high definition + YouTube fixes

< Feedback on YouTube HD Override

Review: Good - script works

Deleted user 128
§
Posted: 2015-05-12
Edited: 2015-05-12

Issue with videos' quality greater than script's HDOSettings.HighestQuality

Running YouTube HD Override 2.8.1 on Cyberfox 37.0.2 (x64) with YouTube's new HTML5 default rendering.

I Have HDOSettings.HighestQuality = 6 which is HD1080
Script renders videos lower than hd1080 to hd1080, but does not lower to hd1080 higher quality videos.
Ex. 1 : youtube.com/watch?v=Czy0pXRRZcs
Ex. 2 : youtube.com/watch?v=M_q7Lxxf998

I don't know if this is related to YouTube's HTML5 because as far as I remember I hadn't encountered this issue when YouTube was running Flash (though I was then using previous version of this script, YouTube HD Override 2.8.0)

§
Posted: 2015-05-12
Edited: 2015-05-12

I've had some issues with HTML5 on YouTube, where the max quality is 720p, and I know that 1080p and higher are in a very different format to lower qualities, where the audio and video are separated.

If you can, edit the script to set Debugging to true on line 42. The script should print something along the lines of:
Target quality is undefined
Target quality is hd1080
Set DASH
Set quality
check fail
large
hd1080
Hd'd video
visible
Set DASH
Set quality
Quality interval stopped

If you can, copy everything from the console when you go to a video page and upload it to pastebin.

Then if I can't see what is going wrong, I'll download Cyberfox and see what happens there. What userscript manager are you using?

Deleted user 128
§
Posted: 2015-05-13
Edited: 2015-05-13

Thanks for taking the time, Prehistoricman.

I'm not a techie, so here goes :

1- I've set var Debugging = true on the script's Line 42
2- I've opened Browser Console / Logging
3- I've started youtube.com/watch?v=Czy0pXRRZcs
4- I checked, copied the Browser Console's Log
5- I've pasted the log at PasteBin, here : http://pastebin.com/GgYUqX09

I hope this is what you were expecting.
My userscript manager is Greasemonkey 3.1

Since YouTube modified its default video rendering to use HTML5 I have no issues. All qualities are handled correctly now with HTML5 on YouTube. The limit is that of my computer, higher than 1080 is sometimes problematic, 4K always is. So 1080p is a good middle point...

Thanks again.

§
Posted: 2015-05-13

Thanks, I seem to understand the issue now. The Flash player uses "highres" for 4K, whereas HTML5 seems to use hd2160. Check you have updated to 2.8.2 and see it's correct now.

Deleted user 128
§
Posted: 2015-05-14

Version 2.8.2 runs just fine, thanks, many thanks, Prehistoricman :)
Tested with above example youtube.com/watch?v=Czy0pXRRZcs : ran in 1080p with HDOSettings.HighestQuality set to 6

Great. 's Wonderful, 's marvelous, to borrow a title from Shirley Bassey's repertoire!

Sign in to post a reply.