Was about that old in that movie

IMDb movies - hovering actors avatars would show how old they were when that movie was released

< Feedback on Was about that old in that movie

Review: Good - script works

§
Posted: 2022-09-29
Edited: 2022-09-29

It's a great job you've done here. I really appreciate it. The script works perfect on every movie page. On actors page, it works fine on the personal data part (it adds the age after the date of birth) but it doesn't work for me on the actor's movie listing part (when I hover over the movie year it does nothing). I don't care because that's not the function I was most interested in. Also the actors page is about to change from the old design to the new one. I don't even know if the script is written for the new design and that's why it doesn't work for me. In my country, I still see the old design of the actors pages. Imdb already showed the preview and it will be similar to the movies page.
Also, I use a little outdated version of Google Chrome and maybe that's why the actor's page movie listing part is not working for me. It's weird because the other parts of the script work fine.

Anyway, beyond that, I want to give you two suggestions for improvements:

1) The small popup that appears when mouse hovering the actor avatar (on a movie page), it would be better if it had a design specified in the script itself. On my computer it appears, but not the same as in the GIF you posted. It does not come out with a dark background, but white and it has a very small font size. I attach the image for you to see. I guess it comes from the operating system settings. And that each user could see it differently. If the design of the popup was in the script (size, background, font color and font size), it would appear the same for all of us and we could modify it to our preferences. It would be excellent if you could add that.

2) I also use this script:

https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/11249-imdb-large-images

which by the way I highly recommend. On all Imdb pages it enlarges the images when you hover over them. But you can't use it at the same time with your script on movie pages, because when you mouse hover the actors avatar, the other script enlarges the photo to its full size in a popup and prevents your script from retrieving the actor's date of birth. It would be great if your script could retrieve the data on mouse hover not only on the avatar but also on the actor's name. That way both scripts could work at the same time.

That's all, I hope that in a future update you could incorporate the things I suggested. Thank you very much for your script and your work.

JenieAuthor
§
Posted: 2022-09-30

Thank you for your feedback.

It's a great job you've done here. I really appreciate it. The script works perfect on every movie page. On actors page, it works fine on the personal data part (it adds the age after the date of birth) but it doesn't work for me on the actor's movie listing part (when I hover over the movie year it does nothing). I don't care because that's not the function I was most interested in. Also the actors page is about to change from the old design to the new one. I don't even know if the script is written for the new design and that's why it doesn't work for me. In my country, I still see the old design of the actors pages. Imdb already showed the preview and it will be similar to the movies page. Also, I use a little outdated version of Google Chrome and maybe that's why the actor's page movie listing part is not working for me. It's weird because the other parts of the script work fine.

The script doesn't indeed support the new design. I will have to update the script at some point to support it.

I will consider the first suggestion, maybe when they force the new design I'll rewrite the script and add it.

which by the way I highly recommend

That is a very useful script. I have update the script to support hovering both, avatar and name. :D

§
Edited: 2022-09-30

Thank you very much for your quick reply and for taking into consideration my suggestions for the script.
Unfortunately the update made the script stop working completely for me. The Tampermonkey editor shows an error that I don't know if it's relevant, but just in case I attach the screenshot for you. If it works fine for you, it's probably because my Google Chrome is not updated to the latest version.

By reverting the update to the previous version, the script works again as before. I have seen that in the update you modified many lines of code, some of that causes that the script no longer works for me. Is there any possibility that starting from previous version (which works for me) I can correct or maybe add just a couple of lines (which I can do if you tell me) to get to work the mouse hover over the name of the actor (on movie pages), that's all I'm interested in.

Thank you very much in advance.

JenieAuthor
§

No problem.

I think the screenshot gives it away. When you said you are on an old version of Chrome, I didn't think it was that old. It is probably a version that doesn't support Optional chaining.

In both lines (in the screenshot), 209 and 213, remove the ? before the red highlighted .. If that fixes the issue, I'll update the script but without changing the version.

Out of curiosity, if I may ask, why are you using a version of Chrome that is very old?

JenieAuthor
§

I have seen that in the update you modified many lines of code

These are the changes in the main code, between version 0.05 and 0.06. I did change the indentation in the code before updating the script in Greasy Fork, that is why you see so many changes.

https://github.com/FlowerForWar/was-about-that-old-in-that-movie/commit/fbb1dba37d65b2987e442c8123ebf22fc5796e88

§
Posted: 2022-10-01
Edited: 2022-10-01

Thanks again for your quick reply and your help. My Google Chrome is version 80 I guess, I didn't think it was that old, ha ha, but it looks like it is.

I did what you said, I removed the question marks before the red dots (lines 209 and 213). With that, the Tampermonkey editor stopped highlighting an error. But the ONLY thing that worked again is that the script adds the actor's age after his date of birth (on actor's page).

The data retrieving on movies pages still doesn't work. Neither hovering on the avatar nor on the actor's name. And that in the previous version worked fine for me. That means that something else that was changed for version 0.06 causes that my old browser doesn't recognize it.

With the github link you sent me in the previous message, I see that in fact not so many lines were changed, about 10 or so.

Remember that in the first message I told you that already in the previous version (0.05) there was something that didn't work for me (the data retrieving hovering over year on movie listing on actor's pages). But it was the only thing that didn't work and I don't care much about that feature. On the other hand, on movie pages, version 0.05 worked correctly for me. And now 0.06 doesn't.

I apologize for bothering you with this and I would understand if you didn't want to help me any further.

And of course you can ask me why I have an outdated browser. It turns out that Google Chrome is a monster that with each update consumes more and more resources, which slows down the PC if it is not very powerful. Also, just as this happens to me with this script, so does the opposite. I use add-ons (installed years ago from the Chrome Store) and scripts through Greasy Fork or Github, which are very old and would stop working if I update the browser. Many are even no longer available in the Store nowadays, but they still work on my computer. Generally speaking, let's say that I'm not a big fan of "changes", when things work well, don't touch them. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is my motto.

You might be surprised to know that even with a very old browser, more than 90% of things still work perfectly. There are less than 10% that don't. But I prefer it that way, I'll evaluate how significant the things that don't work for me are and eventually at some point, I'll upgrade the browser. Probably when I get a new PC. Not for now.

Again, thank you very much for your time, work and patience. I hope you can help me so that I can use version 0.06. Otherwise I'll stick with 0.05. And I will be very grateful anyway.

JenieAuthor
§

No problem :D

I understand what you mean by not updating.

Could you have the "DevTools" opened (by clicking F12) and have the "Console" tab activated. Then refresh the page by F5 and see if you can pick or screenshot/record any messages highlighted in red with the name of my script next to them.

§

No problem :D

I understand what you mean by not updating.

Could you have the "DevTools" opened (by clicking F12) and have the "Console" tab activated. Then refresh the page by F5 and see if you can pick or screenshot/record any messages highlighted in red with the name of my script next to them.

Of course I can do that. Later today I will look into the console and in a new message I'll attach the screenshots for you. Thank you very much again.

§

Well, here are two screenshots. The first one is from the Console, where the only error message referring to your script says:

TypeError: Cannot read property 'addEventListener' of undefined
at chrome-extension://dhdgffkkebhmkfjojejmpbldmpobfkfo/userscript.html?name=Was%2520about%2520that%2520old%2520in%2520that%2520movie.user.js

Clicking on that error opens another screen where it marks in red the line in your script that causes the error. That's the second screenshot.

Evidently it has to do with the lines from 90 onwards, which you changed in the new version to incorporate the mouse over the actor's name.

The way they were (only for the avatar) in version 0.05, the browser can read it properly. And the way they are now, it can't read it.

I hope you can tell me how to fix it.

Again, thank you for your work, time and patience.

§

I am thinking one more thing: If the problem is that the browser can't read the "mouse-enter" in both the avatar AND the name, it would be enough for me to keep just the name.

In other words, the hovering over actor's name would replace the avatar.

That way maybe it can be written shorter and the browser can understand it well, as it did before in version 0.05.

JenieAuthor
§

I have modified the code. Try installing it from here as a test.

https://github.com/FlowerForWar/was-about-that-old-in-that-movie/raw/main/test/test.user.js

§
Posted: 2022-10-02

I did the re-installation from the link you provided.

Still doesn't work, everytime I enter a movie page, a popup comes out from the top, saying: "No children Nodes!" (see screenshot).

I hope you can find the fix, and once again thank you for everything.

JenieAuthor
§
Posted: 2022-10-02
Edited: 2022-10-02

I did the re-installation from the link you provided.Still doesn't work, everytime I enter a movie page, a popup comes out from the top, saying: "No children Nodes!" (see screenshot).I hope you can find the fix, and once again thank you for everything.

That is a message I have put there to try and figure out what is going wrong. Now that I know, it seems for whatever reason the selector for the elements the script needs are not correct on your browser.

In this movie page

Open the "Devtools" like before, activate the "Console" tab, then paste this line of code and press "Enter", then screenshot the results.

document.querySelectorAll('section.ipc-page-section.ipc-page-section--base[cel_widget_id="StaticFeature_Cast"] div[data-testid="title-cast-item"] a[href^="/name/"]')

Also later..

• Right click on the name of any actor, click "Inspect", then screenshot the results.
  • Right click on the avatar of any actor, click "Inspect", then screenshot the results.

Video to show that https://mega.nz/file/4RUyVBJJ#Ygfc_tlAXpFkqCoBK-972wNcPmbUTCs5pnescSF2mcM

§
Posted: 2022-10-05
Edited: 2022-10-05

Hello my friend. Thanks as usual for your work and patience. Sorry it took me a while to reply, but I've been practicing to send you a video, just like you did. I installed an add-on that allows me to record the screen. I recorded the video with your script disabled, so you can see how my browser sees the Imdb pages BEFORE the intervention of your script.

On the video you can see other interesting scripts and add-ons that I have installed for the Imdb pages. I have many items blocked through Adblock Plus as well. Anyway I have tested your script with the Adblock disabled, just in case the Adblock was the problem. But it wasn't.

I think on the video you can see ALL the things you are interested in. I also added the inspection of the actor's page, the part of the movie listing where the script doesn't work for me either (even in version 0.05).

Also remember that except for that feature, anything else worked fine for me in version 0.05. The biggest problems started with the changes in version 0.06.

I hope you find the video useful, if something is missing, let me know and I'll record another one.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YHSKSk7K51k1Gi_b1-4Q08w7oAEDjEL4/view?usp=sharing

Thanks for everything.

JenieAuthor
§
Posted: 2022-10-05

Great video, it helped me see the issue.

Also, in actors pages, hovering the years of movies is only supported in the "actor" section, not the other sections like "producer".

I did update few things which should fix it for you, let me know how it goes.

Try the new test version from here. https://github.com/FlowerForWar/was-about-that-old-in-that-movie/raw/main/test/test2.user.js

§
Posted: 2022-10-06

I'm glad you found my video helpful, NOW THE SCRIPT WORKS FOR ME!
Retrieves the actor's data both by hovering the mouse over the name and the avatar.

The only thing that still doesn't work is in the movie listing on the actor's page, when you hover the mouse over the year of the movie, it does nothing. But that never worked for me, not even in version 0.05. Just in case I showed you in the video the selection of elements through DevTools in that part, but it seems that the problem is different there.

As I told you from the beginning, it's not a function that interests me much, so if it can not be solved, no problem.

What do I do now? should I keep the Test Version installed or can you modify the code in Greasy Fork so that I can install it from there (being able to check for future updates)?

Thanks again for all your work, time and willingness to help me.

§
Edited: 2022-10-06

This is not a problem, but it may be useful for you as feedback. I am curious to know why, when the movie is not yet released (its date is in the future), in some cases the script reads that date correctly (e.g. 2023) and states that the actors will be of such an age at that time.

But in other cases, even if the date 2023 is indicated on the Imdb page, the script shows the message: "No valid release date" and therefore does not work on that page.

I show you two screenshots, one of each case. In case 1 the scripts works normally. In case 2, it doesn't work.

Thanks a lot for everything and keep up the good work.

JenieAuthor
§

I'm glad you found my video helpful, NOW THE SCRIPT WORKS FOR ME!Retrieves the actor's data both by hovering the mouse over the name and the avatar.The only thing that still doesn't work is in the movie listing on the actor's page, when you hover the mouse over the year of the movie, it does nothing. But that never worked for me, not even in version 0.05. Just in case I showed you in the video the selection of elements through DevTools in that part, but it seems that the problem is different there.As I told you from the beginning, it's not a function that interests me much, so if it can not be solved, no problem.What do I do now? should I keep the Test Version installed or can you modify the code in Greasy Fork so that I can install it from there (being able to check for future updates)?Thanks again for all your work, time and willingness to help me.

The part in the video showing you hovering on the year of the movie (on Jackie Chan page), the script is not supposed to work there actually. It only works on the "Actor" section.

1- Try this actor page

2- keep the mouse on the year 2022 for the first movie, that is Entergalactic

3- keep the mouse for few seconds on the year.

If nothing happens, Open the "DevTools", activate the "Console" tab, reload the page, start recording a video, then repeat the steps from 1 to 3. That may give me a hint of what is going wrong in the form of messages inside the "Console"

What do I do now? should I keep the Test Version installed or can you modify the code in Greasy Fork so that I can install it from there (being able to check for future updates)?

The test version should work for everyone. As soon as we solve the issue you are having, I'll update the script to 0.07 that should work for all.

Do you have a Discord account? maybe it would be faster to chat and try to fix the issue for you.

JenieAuthor
§

This is not a problem, but it may be useful for you as feedback. I am curious to know why, when the movie is not yet released (its date is in the future), in some cases the script reads that date correctly (e.g. 2023) and states that the actors will be of such an age at that time.But in other cases, even if the date 2023 is indicated on the Imdb page, the script shows the message: "No valid release date" and therefore does not work on that page.I show you two screenshots, one of each case. In case 1 the scripts works normally. In case 2, it doesn't work.Thanks a lot for everything and keep up the good work.

The script checks the date from a different page than the movie's page

for the first movie, here is the release page

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13729364/releaseinfo

the second movie

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt16252698/releaseinfo

As you can see in these pages, the first movie has a full date (with month and day), the second does not.

§

I do not have a Discord account. I don't even know what Discord is, lol. Sorry for that.

Anyway, the chat is perfect here, it's my fault that sometimes take me a little longer to answer. I will try to reply faster, so it takes less time.

I'm looking at the actor page you provided, the script does nothing even if I left the mouse over the movie year for half an hour. And there is only one very specific error in the console (referring to your script), right now I'm going to record the video and post it here for you to see.

Thank you very much once again.

§

This is the video. Please let me know if anything is missing. If necessary, I can record another one.
Thanks for everything.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18j3q6BCTl0vhujmbU3fDIKGqNJF59AVm/view?usp=sharing

JenieAuthor
§
Posted: 2022-10-07

It's https://discord.com/

It is great and better than waiting for each other to respond, and I believe I can chat with you without you even creating an account.

follow this link and login with a random user name, it is called a server and I'm a mod there

https://discord.gg/ETWfewCV

I will try look look at the code in the mean time to try and figure what could be going wrong for you.

JenieAuthor
§

Edit: just join there, don't post anything, unless you are trying to learn how to be a programmer, which is what the server is for.

JenieAuthor
§

Fixed in update 0.07

Sign in to post a reply.