Nova YouTube

Powerful control on YouTube

< Feedback on Nova YouTube

Review: Good - script works

§
Posted: 2021-10-07
Edited: 2021-10-07

How to disable youtube videos auto-playing even tho they are in the background?

Also how to hide Nova Settings button?

raingartAuthor
§
Posted: 2021-10-08

there is an auto-preload that prevents the video from loading. That such functionality was not implemented due to a conflict with other plugins.
If it's simple to pause then use "Video autopause" settings

There is still an option to pause the background video "Pauses playing videos in other tabs"

So hide Nova button need to add css style (stylus or"violentmonkey">"Custom Style"):
a[href*='raingart.github.io']{display: none}

§
Edited: 2021-10-08

I can hide the Nova Settings button by using element picker with uBlockOrigin.. or edit the script.. but isn't it obvious that there should be a checkbox option to hide it?

Also I've already tried all the settings you mentioned and none do what I ask for. Why would this script enable autoplay in background tabs in the first place? Having an option to disable background autoplay is essential for this script.

raingartAuthor
§
Edited: 2021-10-08

should be a checkbox option to hide it?

I didn't think about it at all. Initially there was a setting button in the menu itself. But I thought that most of the users are too stupid or lazy to enter the menu. 1 click instead of 3. You didn't ask "can I add such a feature" or "I would like something like this to appear." You asked "how to do it now". I answered your question as accurately as possible.

Why would this script enable autoplay in background tabs

This is due to the chosen method of interaction with the youtube player. There are two ways.

1. reassign parameters before loading the whole page.
  2. change already existing behavior.

In the mode of using the extension, the first method is not available due to the slow operation of the browser api. And since unified code is used for both types (extensions and userscript). To simplify further, some plugins. For example, the choice of video quality, when its module is launched, the player automatically plays. You can check which plugins are causing autoloading and disable them.

You must understand that all the functionality is sharpened for the behavior that is typical for me. I don't have testers or scripts to track user actions. It is absolutely not obvious to me what is obvious to you. Since this is userscript. For me, the fact that you can already install it is an indicator of technical literacy that it will not be difficult for you to hide or disable this or that feature. I will consider adding or not a button to hide the settings.

§
Posted: 2021-10-09

Apologies... apparently it was another script that I was using that I installed along with Nova settings which was enabling autoplay in background tabs...

So no issues with your script! I can hide the button by slightly editing the script, but yes If you could add a new option to hide the settings button that would be ideal!

Thanks!

raingartAuthor
§

Apologies not worth it. The main thing is that you and the users are happy.

Nova was originally designed to minimize conflicts with other scripts. This can lead to unforeseen consequences if the user uses scripts with identical functionality. The result is not obvious, since both will work.

In theory, another script could purposely break the Nova bootloader. But Nova is very unlikely to break another script. I have never seen such a case.

We already have a working prototype for plugins localization. And I'm going to add an option to hide the settings button on the site page along with it. I don’t know how long it will take. I need to both choose languages ​​and translate.

If you have any more wishes or suggestions, write here. If no one says anything, then there will be no changes.

Good luck!

§

If you have any more wishes or suggestions, write here. If no one says anything, then there will be no changes.

1. Option to hide Nova Settings button
2. When you have 'Header Unfixed' option checked, if you visit the home page

https://www.youtube.com you still see the tags? bar when you scroll.. https://i.imgur.com/ngc0pux.png

I simply blocked it with uBlock Origin element picker ... www.youtube.com###header > .ytd-rich-grid-renderer.style-scope

That's all for now! Thanks for sharing this great java script!

§
When you have 'Header Unfixed' option checked, if you visit the home page https://www.youtube.com you still see the tags? bar when you scroll.. https://i.imgur.com/ngc0pux.png

Similar thing happens when you scroll in a playlist!

These are details I know, but they are minor improvements for the future!

Thanks again!

raingartAuthor
§
Posted: 2021-10-15
Edited: 2021-10-15

upload in the new version the option "Disable setting button"(in OTHER tab) and localizations, fixes, etc.

Sign in to post a reply.