Reddit expand media and comments

Shows pictures and some videos right after the link, loads and expands comment threads.

< Feedback on Reddit expand media and comments

Review: Good - script works

§
Posted: 2021-10-14

Wonderful script, I was just curious if it would be possible to make a version without the expanding comments. For those that just want the media portion of the script?

wOxxOmAuthor
§
Posted: 2021-10-15

I thought about it too, but was reluctant to add a config UI just for one setting.

The new 1.0.8 allows toggling expansion of comments in its config:

Toggle comment expansion and set imgur quality like +h or -b where + or - toggles comment expansion and h, l, m, t, b, s sets imgur quality: Huge, Large, Medium, Thumbnail, Big square, Small square, or no letter to use default.

I wonder though, if your reason is performance then limiting the thread expansion to the visible area and its close vicinity might be sufficient? Turns out there was a bug that activated all expanders, fixed in 1.0.8.

§
Posted: 2021-10-15

Nothing performance related, was just thinking the auto loading of comments was interfering with an extension I had running that shows deleted comments within the page, but they work even better thanks to that update.

The extension I was referring to https://github.com/pauldraper/unreddit

One other thing WoxxOm what is your take on the continue this thread portion of reddit pages when commenting exceeds the 500 count?

I came across Load' Continue this thread' inline https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/5578-reddit-load-continue-this-thread-inline

Would it be possible to adopt this into your already existing script. Essentially you would have one script that tackles media, threads, and comments and auto loads them within one page.

wOxxOmAuthor
§
Posted: 2021-10-16

I don't use reddit a lot so previously I thought maybe those continuation links are actually useful, like they help you skip the stale discussions maybe. Now I begin to see these are made automatically and aren't really all that helpful, right?

wOxxOmAuthor
§
Posted: 2021-10-16

1.0.9 expands continuation threads (only on old reddit though).

§
Posted: 2021-10-17

The continuation links not being helpful is spot-on. Thank you for adding in expanding continuation threads.

Sign in to post a reply.