Netflix - subtitle downloader

Allows you to download subtitles from Netflix

< Feedback on Netflix - subtitle downloader

Review: Good - script works

§
Posted: 2021-11-14

thank your for the wonderful script.
This is an unrelated question - as someone who has no technological knowledge, is the downloaded .vtt file already converted or "raw"?
The reason I ask this is because I thought that at least some information is always lost like italics for example

§
Posted: 2021-11-14

I do absolutely no processing on the downloaded subs. If italics are missing from WebVTT format then switch to DFXP. It will still download WebVTT format for languages that don't have a text based DFXP.

§
Posted: 2021-12-12

Hi man! Thanks! I'm trying to download and it ends up always downloading an empty zip file... Maybe because I'm only trying to download in Korean? Or is this a known bug? Thanks anyway!

§
Posted: 2021-12-12

Either there are no Korean subs or you didn't set the lang filtering right. Clear it, download all subs for one episode and see what you get.

§
Posted: 2021-12-18

thank you very much for your reply on 11/14/2021

I tried downloading DFXP for something (in japanese, that has italics) as a test and it wasn't available.
As another test, I downloaded ger,eng, and jpn language subtitles (all .vtt) for something with italics in it, and only in the japanese subtitle these were absent despite being visible in the webplayer. Ruby is also saved in () brackets and not ruby tags

All subtitle downloaders I tried had the same problem, so I was wondering if anyone could explain this discrepancy. I don't understand how content delivery and web-based players work

Here is one netflix page that explicitly mentions italics so I was under the impression that they should be there somewhere
https://partnerhelp.netflixstudios.com/hc/en-us/articles/215767517-Japanese-Timed-Text-Style-Guide

§

My script downloads subtitles in text format. The only non-WebVTT format for Japanese subs is image based. Since most people want the text format my script doesn't support downloading image-based ones.

§

My script downloads subtitles in text format. The only non-WebVTT format for Japanese subs is image based. Since most people want the text format my script doesn't support downloading image-based ones.

Thank you very much for the answer! Now I understand.

Sign in to post a reply.