Discussions » Greasy Fork Feedback

Short-term website outages

§
Posted: 2015-05-18

Short-term website outages

You may have been unlucky enough to receive an error message trying to access Greasy Fork recently. The site has been have some intermittent outages. I'm working toward a solution to these problems. If you have problems that last longer than 5 minutes, please report them at jason.barnabe@gmail.com.

I believe these outages are due to a bug when using OpenVZ on a CentOS 5 server. It appears that IO scheduling does not work properly, resulting in any long-running, IO-heavy process blocking every other IO process on the system. Once the IO-heavy process completes, then things are fine. This bug is reportedly fixed in CentOS 6, but there is no upgrade path from 5 to 6 - you basically need to set up a whole new server. So that's what's going on, and I'm using this migration to go to a more beefed-up machine.

§
Posted: 2015-05-20

Well userstyles.org got moved... somewhere.

§
Posted: 2015-05-20

userstyles.org is back. Greasy Fork's turn is coming up.

§
Posted: 2015-05-22

userstyles.org is ... www.isitdownrightnow.com

§
Posted: 2015-05-22

Firewall issues that like to pop-up in the middle of the night...

§
Posted: 2015-05-28

We just got moved!

§
Posted: 2015-06-01

Now that the site is on a better server, I gave it 12GB of RAM to play with rather than 4GB it had before. The extra memory should make the site more stable and responsive. It's also enough to make the duplicate checking under the derivatives tab work again!

Sign in to post a reply.