Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New rule regarding script update checks

edited October 2 in Site Feedback Firefox
Today I heard from my hosting provider that last month, the site went over its bandwidth allowance. Looking into this I found some scripts that were excessively checking for updates, resulting in hundreds of gigabytes of daily bandwidth. Looking at the code for these scripts, it appears they checked for updates every time the script executed.

So starting right now, scripts must only check for updates after a reasonable period (1 day?) has passed since the last check. Any script I find making excessive requests will have its update URL blocked until the issue is fixed in its code.

If anyone has any example code on how to correctly perform update checks, that would be useful.

Comments

• BTW, I don't understand why would a script author want to check the update URL manually. A userscript manager addon/extension checks for that automatically.

• Do all user script managers do that?
  • Tampermonkey and Greasemonkey do, which accounts for 99.999% of all script managers installations, I guess.

• With this information in mind, I'm happy to disable the auto-update checking from inside my script completely. Thanks wOxxOm :)

• wOxxOm said:

Tampermonkey and Greasemonkey do, which accounts for 99.999% of all script managers installations, I guess.

Violentmonkey also checks for userscript updates.
  • Guys/Gals, I use some fairly old scripts, it might be years - or never- before the authors remove the update check -- what would we manually need to look for & comment-out to remove the check?

• Really, it's only a problem for the site if there's a ton of bandwidth being used. If the script's update URL does not appear as one of the top offenders, I will not be proactively doing anything about it.