Youtube HD

Select a youtube resolution and resize the player.

< Feedback on Youtube HD

Question/comment

§
Posted: 2017-07-31

Where are the settings located?

I installed YouTube HD on Tampermonkey for Edge Browser. I can't seem to find the settings for YoutubeHD. Where are they located? Thanks for your time. Michael

adisibAuthor
§
Posted: 2017-07-31
Edited: 2017-07-31

Hello,

The settings are currently changed by editing the script itself, and looking at the section near the top marked by the comment "// --- SETTINGS -------". There you will see several settings such as "const targetRes = " to set the resolution for example. JavaScript knowledge isn't necessary, it should be clear what is a setting and how to change them. If not, let me know.

I understand this isn't ideal, as it will prevent auto-updates of the script. But my reasoning for having the settings this way is as follows:

1. YouTube is a website that undergoes many changes. If I were to place the settings on the webpage, the script would require much maintenance and the changing of the settings location could be confusing or be forced into a place where it wouldn't integrate seamlessly. Though the way I have it prevents you from auto-updating, it also means you have to update much less and the settings will always be in a consistent place.
2. This script was originally intended only for myself, as I found all other scripts and extensions not acceptable for what I was looking for. There was no need to separate the settings when I wrote it, but I am open to changing the settings to be more convenient for everyone if I can find an acceptable way to do it.
3. Adding in a settings system, especially one that interacts with the website, complicates the script, which makes it harder to maintain, as well as possibly a negligible reduction in battery life for users or a very slight chance to introduce bugs that otherwise might not be there. Keeping the script simple and efficient is one of my goals with the script. But again, if usability is more important, I am willing to change it.

If you have an idea of how to create a settings system without relying on embedding the settings into the page itself and being similar in simplicity to editing the script, I would love to hear.

If you need any further help or information, don't hesitate to ask. Though I expect no problems on Edge, it isn't a browser that I test the script with. If you could let me know how well it works for you with that browser, I would appreciate it.

Sign in to post a reply.