Discussions » Greasy Fork Feedback

How can you license your work

Deleted user 134367
§
Posted: 2017-07-02
Edited: 2017-07-03

How can you license your work

Recently, I posted a script to this site. Someone else basically copy/pasted it, added some minimal things, and called it their own script. However, they also put ads on it, and therefore are making money off my work. The problem is, I cannot get this work removed because they credited me in their script description, which I presume gives them grounds to use my work - even though I don't permit it. How can I stop this from happening? Is there some sort of licensing of my work I can do? Help appreciated. Thanks

§
Posted: 2017-07-03

If you haven't released it under a license, that doesn't mean they can fork your work. Adding a license is to give people restricted permission to use your code, not to take away permission since they don't have it in the first place.

See for example, https://choosealicense.com/no-license/ , which states "When you make a creative work (which includes code), the work is under exclusive copyright by default. Unless you include a license that specifies otherwise, nobody else can use, copy, distribute, or modify your work without being at risk of take-downs, shake-downs, or litigation." This is unless greasyfork has terms that affect what people can do with your code, but I don't remember any such thing. However, if you have your script posted on other sites, they may have different terms. Take for example OpenUserJS, whose terms apply the MIT license to any unlicensed code, giving people the right to fork your code.

You will need to just ask a staff member of greasyfork to take it down for stealing your code if you think you have not given them the permission to.

§

All the above is correct. When you post on Greasy Fork, you are posting for others to use. You are not automatically allowing others to redistribute or modify it. If you want allow these things, you choose a license for your script.

Note that licenses are not revocable. If you post with a license that allows modifications, you can't take it back if you don't like how someone is modifying it. So choose wisely.

If someone is violating the license you used (or lack thereof), report the script and it will be reviewed by moderators.

Deleted user 134367
§
If you haven't released it under a license, that doesn't mean they can fork your work. Adding a license is to give people restricted permission to use your code, not to take away permission since they don't have it in the first place.

See for example, https://choosealicense.com/no-license/ , which states "When you make a creative work (which includes code), the work is under exclusive copyright by default. Unless you include a license that specifies otherwise, nobody else can use, copy, distribute, or modify your work without being at risk of take-downs, shake-downs, or litigation." This is unless greasyfork has terms that affect what people can do with your code, but I don't remember any such thing. However, if you have your script posted on other sites, they may have different terms. Take for example OpenUserJS, whose terms apply the MIT license to any unlicensed code, giving people the right to fork your code.

You will need to just ask a staff member of greasyfork to take it down for stealing your code if you think you have not given them the permission to.

All the above is correct. When you post on Greasy Fork, you are posting for others to use. You are not automatically allowing others to redistribute or modify it. If you want allow these things, you choose a license for your script.

Note that licenses are not revocable. If you post with a license that allows modifications, you can't take it back if you don't like how someone is modifying it. So choose wisely.

If someone is violating the license you used (or lack thereof), report the script and it will be reviewed by moderators.

Thanks to both of you for providing informative responses. I should have done my research. Regarding my current situation, I have contacted a moderator regarding someone using my script without my permission, however, they didn't remove it, which leads me to believe that one can use someone else's work without their permission, so long as they give credit. Is this the case? If not, perhaps I just misworded my message to the moderator. In any case, I will try to message a different one, becasue the one initially message seems to be a bit inactive
Edit: JasonBarnabe, didn't notice you were administrator, I've sent you a message to hopefully resolve this case

§
Posted: 2017-07-04

All you have to do is report the script. A moderator will close it or ask for additional info. Sometimes it takes a few days.

Looks like all your requests have been handled at the moment.

Deleted user 134367
§
Posted: 2017-07-04

Yes, theyve been removed now. I appreciate the help

Sign in to post a reply.