Google Hit Hider by Domain (Search Filter / Block Sites)

Block unwanted sites from your Google, DuckDuckGo, Startpage.com, Bing and Yahoo search results. v2.2.8 2023-07-19

< Feedback on Google Hit Hider by Domain (Search Filter / Block Sites)

Review: Good - script works

§
Posted: 2018-10-18
Edited: 2018-10-18

Block / Highlight based on domain and path

Hi Jefferson, I am still using this fantastic script, so first of all thank you.

I can't recall if I already asked about this or read someone's else question about it. It might also be beyond the scope of the script in either case. Though is filtering based on domain and a more full path at all possible? Personally I am mainly using Google and this might as well differ based on search engine I guess, as maybe the full path is not available to the script to match/filter against on all platforms. I thought I would ask at least.

Chris

§
Posted: 2018-10-18

The current design of the script would be difficult to expand to looking at the path. The fundamental approach to comparing the link's domain to the list of domains hasn't changed from version 0.1 in January 2011. I used the simplest possible method of comparison, which is backwards from how you would compare full or partial paths. A better approach for that would be the one used in the old Google Search Filter Plus script, which unfortunately hasn't been updated as far as I know, or in modern ad blockers.

If you need to extract a lot of results for a single site and exclude some paths, you might look into the ImportXML function in Google Sheets, which can be used for web scraping (although it probably doesn't pass credentials, so presumably results wouldn't be personalized).

Sign in to post a reply.