Alright... I know there has to be a limit for link texts. I get it.
That doesn't mean I have to like or even accept it.
I've always wondered why they don't include a longer version of the title in the link titles ("<a href='URI'>Too long t...</a>" --> "<a href='URI' title='Too long title'>Too long t...</a>").
They could leave the actual link text short, and provide at least a title that's a bit longer for mouse overs.
I wrote a script that does the leg work for you there.
This script goes through all the links, looking for new links ending with "...".
It gets the target page for each match in the background and takes the title and puts it in the search result link, either replacing the original content, or as a Link Title.
Settings can be changed at the top of the script.
If it's set to replace the original like text, you can still find it in the link title by hovering over it.
- When you request a .pdf file, it will open as a download. Because of that, I'm excluding URIs that end in ".pdf" from being followed up.
- I couldn't find an effective way of really only getting the page <head>, I'm getting the whole document. This means there is a bit of traffic happening in the background while the pages are being checked. You might not want to use it if you are super low on data volume.
Update 1.9.7 2022-03-16
- added newer CSS variable "center-column-width" for unrestricting column width
Updates 1.9.4 - 1.9.6 2020-2021
- Remove width limit for results column and items
- corrected selectors for color changes
- changed background colors from "very light shades" to "transparent colors", for dark mode
Updates 1.9.0 - 1.9.3: Oops, I haven't shared my updates in a while and the history is lost to time 😅
Update v1.8 2020-11-14
- Updated the element selector for h3 titles according to some change Google made at some point.
- Reverted back to update URL referring to my webspace, which gets updates automatically. (NVM, this is overwritten by GreasyFork)
Update v1.6 2018-12-10
- Adjusted for new search results DOM structure
Used to be `#ires .g .rc h3.r a`; is now `#ires .g .rc .r a h3`
- Added visual feedback: light red background where a title needs to be fetched, light green where successful.
Update v1.5 2017-02-15
- Added update-resistent Settings system
- Included /webhp? URL
- Improved title RegEx to include <title prop="Example">Title</title> cases
- Improved change detection
Update v1.4 2017-02-15
Update v1.3 2017-02-15
- Added option to write the Title to the link's innerHTML
- Added logging/verbosity levels
Update v1.2 2017-02-15
- Unescaped HTML in page titles. No more ugly quotes, brackets, ampersands, etc
- Changed include match to exclude google image search